It's the little things that can make a big difference for someone battling depression. Here's 5 things you can do to help a loved one with depression:
- Invite them to a social gathering with people. Not a huge party, but even just coffee with you at a coffee shop, or a small quiet group of friends watching a movie together.
- Offer to pick them up and take them to the event. Make it as easy and effortless to participate as possible. Make sure the gathering is low key and expectations are low.
- Making decisions can be very difficult for people who struggle with depression. Help them by giving them easy choices. Pick or organize an event or show you know they’d like. If needed, make childcare arrangements for them.
- Go for a walk or a bike ride with them. Take them to a gym. While they may not always feel up for it, exercise, being in the company of others, and spending time outdoors can help.
- Caring for someone with depression is hard and can lead to burnout. Make sure you assemble a team of people who can help support the person, as well as you.